Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez has dreamed up a fantasy Green New Deal legislation, that would aim to wean the country off fossil fuels entirely in ten years. Air travel would be outlawed under the proposal as the county would be connected via high-speed rail.
The legislation, in addition to insuring that the nation’s energy needs would be met by solar and wind power, also contains a smorgasbord of items on the progressive wish-list. and sola
The media has enabled the dim witted Congresswoman from the Bronx. Instead of treating her like the cook that she it, she is treated as a rock star, journalists hanging on her every word. She receives top billing at all events. The media has enthusiastically encouraged her to hog the limelight and the microphone. Senior Congressmen are just bit players in the drama.
Senator Ed Markey senses the energy in the party is with the progressives and he wants to get on board. Democratic strategist Scott Ferson said of Markey’s alliance with Ocasio-Cortez, “I think it’s smart on his part. I understand the political calculus of attaching yourself to a rock star like her.” The fawning media ratifies her zany progressive proposals, because political journalists are of a like mindset.
Here is a sampling of the “climate justice” aims of the Green New Deal enumerated by NPR
- “upgrading all existing buildings” in the country for energy efficiency;
- working with farmers “to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions… as much as is technologically feasible” (while supporting family farms and promoting “universal access to healthy food”);
- “Overhauling transportation systems” to reduce emissions — including expanding electric car manufacturing, building “charging stations everywhere,” and expanding high-speed rail to “a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary”;
- A guaranteed job “with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations and retirement security” for every American;
- “High-quality health care” for all Americans.
Democratic strategist Scott Ferson said of Markey’s alliance with Ocasio-Cortez, “I think it’s smart on his part. I understand the political calculus of attaching yourself to a rock star like her.”To round out the wish list, the plan would seek to upgrade or replace every building in the country.
What is utterly astounding, is not the absurdity of the scheme, but that many Democrats, such as Senator Corey Booker and Senator Ed Markey, have signed on to the Quixotic enterprise. Even introducing a non-binding resolution that establishes a framework for a 21st century WPA program would subject any politician associated with it to ridicule.
Here is how Markey characterizes the initiative, “ This Is the New Climate Democracy — of the People, by the People, for the Planet.” You can’t make this stuff up.
This clearly indicates, that for the 21st century Democratic Party, the lunatics are running the asylum.
The Democratic Party is doing a spending job ensuring that President Trump enjoys a second term.